Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Kid Craft | Milk Jug Turkey

I was going to recycle a milk jug one day, but started looking at it, trying to envision what it could become.  My milk jug became a Turkey.
I started by putting brown paint inside the pumpkin, putting the lid back on and shaking to coat the inside of the milk jug.
  I suppose you could try to paint the outside brown as well.  I tried it my way.  
*Note* The paint does not dry inside the jug.

I cut a piece of cardboard to be the "feathers" and painted that brown, as well.
  Then I stapled corn husks from our indian corn onto the cardboard "feathers". 

I made a slit in the back of the jug with a razor--only adults should do this.  I actually cut it before I had the idea to paint the inside of the jug. 
 So, I had to tape over the slit while I painted the inside.  If you try to do it after you paint, the paint will get all over the razor since the paint does not dry on the inside.

I used a paper towel tube for the head and neck.  The tube fits perfectly onto the lid.  Glue the paper towel tube to the lid and let dry overnight.

Bend the paper towel tube into the shape of a head and staple. Paint brown.
I thought a red balloon would have made a perfect turkey waddle.  But, I did not have any red balloons, so we used red construction paper.  And we used a folded muffin liner as the beak.  
Then, we glued googly eyes on and used pipe cleaners for the feet.

Probably the funniest looking Turkey craft out there.  But, it's mine!  Really wish I would have had that red balloon!

3 comments:

  1. Too cute! Now I need a milk jug - we buy those carton milk containers at Costco in bulk :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by from Meet me Monday, this is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these kind of projects where ingenuity takes over and you make things out of ordinary items or even refuse! So great for a kids project. I would love to have you share it at my Wednesday party! http://theshadyporch.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear your crafty thoughts!